Singer 5500 Fashion Mate Sewing Machine
The 5500 Fashion Mate is another in the line of Singer sewing machines designed for beginning and intermediate sewers who want a wide selection of stitch choices, but who would prefer not to spend too much time reading the user manual. A quick start guide, very easy threading and bobbin winding functions, and controls that are simple to understand will have even inexperienced sewers up and running in a very few minutes.
This is a good general purpose machine suitable for most sewing projects. It does, however, have some features specifically for the construction of clothing and accessories. There are 100 built-in stitches, which is more than most machines in this price range have. These include 6 different buttonhole stitches and a stitch for sewing on flat two-hole and four-hole buttons. In addition, there are nine basic stitches, 76 decorative stitches and eight stretch stitches. The stitches are selected with a push-button system and, though there is an LCD display, this is not a computerized machine.
A very nice addition is a removable extension table for large projects, such as a long skirt or a formal dress. Of course, quilters would find this extra space useful as well. An unexpected bonus is a hard-sided universal case that makes it easy to store and transport the 5500 and could be used for other Singer machines. Also included is a modest but adequate selection of accessories and presser feet: buttonhole, general purpose and zipper feet, needles, bobbins, extra spool pin and felts, small screwdriver, darning plate and combination seam ripper and lint brush. A foot pedal, user manual and instructional DVD complete the package.
Another feature that makes this Singer a pleasure to sew with is an automatic tension that adjusts for different types of fabric. Automatic stitch width and length settings, as well, provide optimum settings for each stitch but can be overridden at the sewer’s discretion. A maximum sewing speed of 750 stitches per minute and a heavy-duty metal frame provide power and durability. Hemming pant legs and setting in sleeves are made easier with the free arm, and the removable platform includes a handy compartment for storing sewing essentials.
The 5500 Fashion Mate, as the name implies, puts functionality and creativity well within the grasp of people looking for the opportunity to design and construct their own clothes in their own way. Once again, Singer manages to combine ease of use and sophistication of features in a moderately priced, versatile machine.
Automatic features to make sewing easy
The Singer Fashion Mate Sewing Machine has automatic features such as automatic needle threader, automatic stitch length & width. automatic tension and 6 fully automatic 1-step buttonholes that will make sewing easy. It also includes a heavy duty metal frame, hard-sided cover and extension table!
Features Of The Singer 5500 Fashion Mate Sewing Machine
- 100 Built-In Stitch Patterns
- 9 basic, 76 decorative, 8 stretch, 6 fully automatic 1-step buttonholes and 1 endless buttonhole
- Automatic Needle Threader
- Sewing's biggest timesaver! Easily threads the needle without frustration or eye strain.
- Automatic Tension
- Automatically keeps stitches balanced and even regardless of fabric type
- Automatic Stitch Length and Width
- Automatic settings for stitch length & width can be overridden to personalize projects
- Push Button Stitch Selection
- Easily select your desired stitch with a push of a button
- 6 Fully Automatic 1-step Buttonholes
- Professional, perfectly balanced buttonholes at the touch of a button
- Variable Needle Positions
- Allows for precise top stitching and more control of stitch placement
- Automatic Reverse
- Push the conveniently located Automatic Reverse Button to sew in reverse and reinforce the stitch
- Automatic Presser Foot Pressure
- Easily sew the lightest weight tricots to the heaviest denim without the need for presser foot pressure adjustments
- Sewing Speed
- With a maximum sewing speed of 750 stitches-per-minute, projects can be sewn quickly.
- Extra-High Presser Foot Lifter
- Offers more clearance when placing multiple layers of bulky fabric under the presser foot
- Free Arm
- Provides easy access to cuffs, collars, pant hems and other smaller or difficult-to-reach areas
- Heavy Duty Metal Frame
- This rigid support holds all the mechanisms in perfect alignment for precise sewing and durability.
- Automatic Bobbin Winding Clutch
- The needle bar automatically disengages when winding the bobbin. This keeps the needle from moving up and down while winding the bobbin making bobbin winding safer.
- Up to 6.5 mm Stitch Width
- Select stitches can be set for a maximum width of 6.5 mm creating attractive satin and decorative stitches.
- Horizontal Threading
- Placing the thread spool in the horizontal position allows for the thread to feed more evenly, reducing poor stitch formation and thread breakage.
- Extension Table
- Easily manage large projects including quilting and fashion sewing
- Hard-Sided Cover
- Carry your machine safely and keep it dust-free in storage
- Snap-On Presser Feet
- Easily change presser feet without use of a screwdriver
- Included Accessories
- All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot, Pack of Needles, Bobbins, Thread Spool Cap, Auxiliary Spool Pin, Spool Pin Felt, Darning Plate, Needle Plate Screwdriver, Seam Ripper / Lint Brush, Extension Table and Hard-Sided Cover
- On-Board Storage
- The accessories are conveniently stored in the removable sewing table providing easy access to accessories.
Download The Singer 5500 Fashion Mate Sewing Machine Quick Start Guide HERE
Download The Singer 5500 Fashion Mate Sewing Machine Quick Product Sheet HERE
Download The Singer 5500 Fashion Mate Sewing Machine Manual HERE